The Lord Lyon, Newbury
Close to Newbury and within easy reach of Lambourn, The Lord Lyon is in the heart of horseracing country.
This impressive pub/restaurant was until recently named Rybaks, but jas now reverted back to its old name, The Lord Lyon - named after a famous racehorse which won the Triple Crown in 1866 and was owned by Lord Sutton who also owned much of the surrounding land. It was only in the last 30 years, though, that the name was changed and older villagers in Stockcross still refer to it as The Nag's Head.
It is much more appropriate to associate this pub with a thoroughbred. It's a smart, comfortable pub which is popular with a range of people, from locals who look upon it as a focal point of the community, to jockeys and trainers who often unwind here, as well as those who come for the excellent food. There is a full menu to choose from and a number of 'specials'.
As you might expect from a fine old pub like this, there are rumours of ghosts, though The Lord Lyon's is apparently a shy one. He or she has never been seen, though objects have been known to move around mysteriously.
Easily reached from the A4 or M4, The Lord Lyon is a superb pub - and since 1989 has had the added attraction of Arkell's beers to offer its customers - yet another great reason why this is a place well worth seeking out.